R44 -7 Blade Delamination
feel free to contact us ms@robinsonhelicopters.org

Jon
Posts(2)
main

R44 -7 Blade Delamination

01-14-2019 03:56:59

Was curious if anyone has heard of the new style -7 Blades delaminating. I had blade delaminate in flight the other day and Robinson claims they have not yet heard of any delamination with the new style. I dont know how i could be the unlucky first.  The end five inches of the blade was exposed by the time i made it to the ground from about 700 agl. Blade showed zero indication of delamination during preflight about .5 hours prior to failure. Blade has good paint ahead of debond and behind. Blades are only 5 years old and had 429.0 hours at time of failure.  Shipping them to Robinson this week for investigation

Replies

Admin
Posts(25)
--
01-16-2019 04:09:13

This is not good news.  I sure hope there is a definative cause they can point to and isolate the problem to just one blade or a serial number range.

I think we would all like to see photos if you have any.

Jon
Posts(2)
main
01-18-2019 02:05:58

Both of my blades are no good.  CO16-7 SN 4048 and SN 4119.  Robinson has paid for them to be shipped there for an investigation.  They claim this has never happened with the new blades but I found a service difficulty report for another delamination on new blade in Australia at only 104 hours TSN.  My blades were installed Feb 2014 and had only accumulated 429.0 hours.  Neither blade showed any of the tell tale signs before flight.  One opened in flight and after landing the opposite blade was just starting to show exposed seem at last quarter inch of blade.  I have been fighting paint corrosion on this set of blades since having them for about two years.  All spots were immediately cleaned and repainted and all seemed to originate from underneath the paint and work there way out as spider cracks and bubbles.  Peter Hallqvist of Robinson Tech Support said they did have problems with a paint vendor at one point and had moisture getting through the paint.  Said I might have gotten a set of those blades.  I am giving them the opportunity to make the situation right but I am very discouraged to say the least.  I have four helicopters in the hangar.  This is my first set of new style blades.  All my other blades have been maintained the same way and are all four years older and never ever have exhibited any signs of corrosion.  I even have an old -5 44 blade laying on chairs timed out that is covered in dust and uncared for and not even that blade shows corrosion.