RR300 service - my horror story!
feel free to contact us ms@robinsonhelicopters.org

ccaffey
Posts(10)
--

RR300 service - my horror story!

04-22-2015 12:21:23

So, sometime late last year, there was an "apparent" hot start on our R66. Frankly, I am still not convinced it happened, but am told you can't dispute the ECU. OK, whatever, get it inspected and fixed. Next, I am told by the service center that, whether an inspection shows ZERO damage or not, the engine has to be pulled and "repaired. Quote for repair nearly 70K. And, by the way, there is only ONE place in the USA that can do it, according to the shop. Despite this ONE place being the ONLY PLACE in the USA, they DO NOT stock parts. And, we have now been waiting three months for parts to complete the service! It's a Rolls Royce engine and there aren't any parts, really? Oh Well, BIG LESSON for me - Don't even think about coming close to the limitations on a start - shame on me for blinking my eyes...yes, the data dump showed a temp excellence of less than 1 second. Question - Does any of the above sound reasonable? Question - Blade problems for Robinson continue, trouble finding a place for service? Any reason I should't be considering a different option for a helicopter?

Replies

slannan
Posts(15)
--
04-21-2015 06:50:40
Had the same thing happen to me. Rolls Rep told me to do Hot Section inspection. Everything fine. That was 100 hours ago.
ccaffey
Posts(10)
--
04-23-2015 05:20:39
I was told an "inspection" used to be the standard practice, but that now an inspection won't suffice.
trailboss
Posts(9)
--
04-23-2015 09:28:59
If you are a private operator it is just a recomendation. You have the final say whether anything gets done at all. That being said you also have to live with it if something goes wrong. But 70,000 to tell you nothing is wrong...its a tough call.

Fred
rotormatic1
Posts(3)
--
05-02-2015 01:42:29
RR changed the hot start inspection requirements. Now they require wheel replacement after a hot start instead of a visual inspection.
FSH
Posts(14)
--
05-14-2015 12:57:01
Please call me as soon as possible. You probably did not have a hot start. Problem with EMU.

Bill Cooper , Florida Suncoast Helicopters 941-355-1259
John S
Posts(11)
--
04-15-2016 12:23:19
Agree with Bill. EMU's are showing false readings. Unless you saw 927 degrees or above it probably didn't happen.

In the Navy we were always taught to look for secondary indications of any light or gauge reading. The primary indication is your eyeballs on the MGT gauge. Also the RR tech people can look deeper into the data and tell you it "probably" didn't happen.
paulmock@agn.net.au
Posts(1)
--
05-19-2016 03:37:56
Had it happen to me. Pilot & Engineer watched the gauge and it didn't exceed limits but EMU triggered. Gauges were tested and given OK so we had to replace the EMU - expensive part.
Jim
Posts(2)
--
09-06-2016 01:29:48
Oh my gosh, I wish I had seen this earlier. I bought a brand new R66 two years ago with the heavy duty battery. I was taught to inject fuel at between 12 and 15. I got a hot start and at annual was informed it would cost me 75k to R and R the engine and have it fixed. Over six months later I got my helicopter back. I had my BFR and got extra special attention on starting and preventing and preventing hot starts I also bought a heavy duty external power pack so I had no trouble spinning well past 15% before introducing power.
I always double check throttle closed and fuel pulled completely off before starting. The other day I had to fly 10 miles to have an AD tended to and I noticed the EMU flashing again. When I had the service center check it he reported back that Rolls Royce analyzed the computer report and I had a hot start and it would require close to 100k to fix it this time. I honestly don't know what could have caused the hot start and the mechanic told me there was no sigh exterially that there had been excessive heat. I can't seem to get any response from Robinson or Rolls Royce as to what may be the issue other than pilot error. There is either a flaw in the system or the helicopter needs some auto overheat safety switch. How many out there have had this problem and been left holding the bag like myself?