R44 Nose Camera Mount

This topic contains 29 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ArcticBuilt ArcticBuilt 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Grant Grant 
    Keymaster

What kind of interest is out there for a quality nose camera mount for the R44? We have built a few prototypes, but we have not flown anything yet. Seems like the operators could make a good living flying around a Cine-flex, wes-cam, or FLIR. Perhaps the people out flying movie work can make a few comments to help motivate (or not motivate) us in the development phase. Thanks.

Profile photo of maximus136 maximus136 

first of all what wold the price difference be to what’s already out there?

Profile photo of Beachcomber535 Beachcomber535 

Don’t forget that Robinson do an Electronic News Gathering version of the 44 which is a camera ship.

Profile photo of taylor robinson taylor robinson 

I use a mountain bike hi-def recorder mounted to the lift ball of the R44 with a wireless remote remote for on / off.  Not really worthy of an STC, but it works like the old F-4C tac-recce cameras of days of old. When I have a few more minutes of free time I have another remote camera that will feed back to my iPad (which is ever present in the helo) that can be turned and zoomed. Both record still and motion to a 16gig microSD. Stabilization is always an issue, but the cameras are designed for vibration plus Apple (and FLIP) video editing software will remove the jitters. I use it in my work (the justification of the helo) for imagery of communication towers and related area targets. Of late we are using it for oil spill related recon. It is the only way I could figure out how to shoot imagery and fly solo. I’m headed toward an IR type system but it may be a little while before I will have time to play with that.

How do you eliminate jitters with the flip software, I tried but I haven’t seen the way to do it

Profile photo of simon simon 
    Participant

How are you doing with the IR project.

Could you please post a couple of pictures of your set up

We plan to pre-sell the first few units to help with certification. The mount will have provisions for camera, spotlight, and a variety of antennas. The mount will be suitable for cinema, ENG, police, and utility work. The mount will be lightweight at around 30 lbs, quickly removable so operators can use their ship for a variety of tasks other than having a dedicated camera ship. We have some CAD renderings to post if anyone is interested.

Profile photo of Ravenhelicopters Ravenhelicopters 

I would be very interested.  I use my chopper for a lot of hand held filming just because not everyone has the budget for a ceneflex.  Please keep me updated on your progress.

Profile photo of Mike MLH 

I clamp a Sony HXR-MC1 HD POV cam to the tow ball using an inexpensive Panavise mount and route the cable through the passenger side vent. 100 mph tape secures the cable in a few places outside.

[youtube=425,350]9vZfkMhq9Qw[/youtube]

Profile photo of TitleistMatt TitleistMatt 

I clamp a Sony HXR-MC1 HD POV cam to the tow ball using an inexpensive Panavise mount and route the cable through the passenger side vent. 100 mph tape secures the cable in a few places outside.

[youtube=425,350]9vZfkMhq9Qw[/youtube]

Mike that’s awesome! I can’t believe there is no vibration… I have no use for one, but that’s never stopped me from buying anything before… ha!

could you take a picture of your set up so we can see the way you o it?

tks

maximus136

Profile photo of TitleistMatt TitleistMatt 

Also, what is the model number for the mount you have?

Profile photo of Mike MLH 

The model # is here: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&–eqskudatarq=97

The panavise ball size is .875″ vs .750″ for the tow bar ball, I wrapped a few layers of Gorilla Tape around the tow ball to build up the diameter.

The camera is mounted directly to the panavise with a 1/4-20 stud which places the camera head upside down. I used i-movie to right the video image. I plan to build a tube bracket to hold the camera with Sorbathane (http://www.sorbothane.com) isolation so the image will be upright.

I’ll get pictures of the intallation next time out.

Profile photo of Ed Darcy Turbo turbo 
    Participant
    Profile photo of choppedair choppedair 

Daniel I would be interested to hear more. My boss is looking to fit a nose mount camera for still images, may also be interested in running a light on the mount.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2007-2017 RHOG - Robinson Helicopter Owners Group - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Terms of Service  |  Privacy Policy |  Return Policy

Forgot your details?