R44 Nose Camera Mount

This topic contains 29 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ArcticBuilt ArcticBuilt 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of rotordude rotordude 

Nice video.  I think the ball mounting idea is great.  Even if the camera setup falls off, at least it is unlikely to hit the tail rotor compared to a different mounting option.  Anybody mounted a camera in the door side vent?  It may be easier to turn camera on and off and save you from taping a wire to the hull.

The reason you don’t see any vibration is probably not due to the mount.  I suspect the mount does vibrate, but most camcorders today have either electronic or optical stabilization.  This means the only “vibration” left is the slight left to right yaw from tailrotor adjustments seen in the video.  Very nice job.

As far as the thread on infrared cameras and their high cost, has anyone thought of strapping a FLIR PathfindIR camera on their robinson?  This camera costs about $2300 on eBay and should work as well as the STC approved $8000 model.  It is very rugged, and waterproof, but the images would not be stabilized hence the mount would be more of a challenge.

Profile photo of choppedair choppedair 

I clamp a Sony HXR-MC1 HD POV cam to the tow ball using an inexpensive Panavise mount and route the cable through the passenger side vent. 100 mph tape secures the cable in a few places outside.

Mike, that video looks a lot better than I expected!
    Do you have any high resolution still shots from the camera while on the helicopter?

Profile photo of  Anonymous

Mounting anything external to the helicopter requires FAA approval.  If you fly the helicopter with anything clamped, taped bolted, etc. to the exterior of the helicopter, you are flying illegally.  Beware of the ramp check!

Profile photo of  Anonymous

Yeah that’s right isn’t it?  I thought I heard or read somewhere that mounting things like that requires an STC or its illegal.

Profile photo of MainRotor MainRotor 

I am surprised there is no mention of the GoPro Hero HD yet. I’ve recently purchased one and I am very happy with it! It’s fully HD capable and has a 170? wide angle lens, a 60hz mode (for slow motions) and comes in different “packs” with different mounts. It’s also water proof and works in rain or even 60 meters under water. It’s THE outdoor action camera at the moment and works in high speed environments without problems.

Here is the official web site:
    http://www.goprocamera.com/

A resolution mode comparison with some parachuting action:
    http://vimeo.com/8133113

I believe the tow ball mount “trick” above should still work, because there is an adapter that makes it work with normal tripod mounts (makes it fit to the screw). The web site also says there is a firmware update coming which allows you to record upside down, which would come in very handy (and saves you time turning it up side down with the computer).

Some more helicopter related videos (lots more on youtube):
    [youtube=425,350]yu4oCKFn4xg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]r0qzcpaMhZY[/youtube]

Profile photo of Maria Langer mlanger 

Thought I’d share one of my recent videos, shot with a nosecam setup.

[youtube=640,385]xqj87cThZZk[/youtube]

The model # is here: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&–eqskudatarq=97

The panavise ball size is .875″ vs .750″ for the tow bar ball, I wrapped a few layers of Gorilla Tape around the tow ball to build up the diameter.

I’m assuming that the product you linked to has a receiver on the “bottom” (in photo) to that the R44 tow ball fits into? That I only need to buy that one piece to get started?

BTW, are you Jim V’s neighbor up there in Idaho?

Profile photo of Matt Haasen Blue Thunder 
    Participant

Maria, the video is awesome.  What kind of camera are you using?  I have to get me one of those! ;).  Thanks for sharing that.

Participant

I forgot to ask, is this out of the areas where there are crazy flight restrictions like the Grand Canyon has?  I flew from Phoenix (Goodyear) over the Canyon, but had to be at 9000′ or so.  Also, where is your camera mounted?  On the tow ball as mentioned previously?

Maria, the video is awesome.  What kind of camera are you using?  I have to get me one of those! ;).  Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks! It’s a GoPro Hero, mounted inverted with an UltraClamp from the vent opening above the landing lights.

I wasn’t INSIDE the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules area but just OUTSIDE of it for about 30 minutes of the flight. Not worth busting the space; don’t want to lose my Part 135 or get in trouble with the FAA/NPS. There’s still plenty of scenery out there — if you know where to look.

Profile photo of Mike MLH 

Hi Maria,

Yes, you stopped by the hangar last year and we talked a bit about camera mounting then.

I’ve been dragging my feet getting an STC for the ball mounted camera, the most stable solution I have found so far. Only drawback is bugs on the lens, an airflow re-director just outside the field of view might resolve that problem though.

The black piece on the Panavise is the part that clamps onto the towball, it worked well with added tape. I have since developed a clamp design that matches the Robbie tow ball size exactly. The end opposite the ball side has a 1/4 20 female thread that will accept a stud for mounting the camera. I may have already mentioned that the Sony camera has the mount on the bottom so, it’s was mounted inverted and the video was flipped using iMovie. I’ve since designed a wrap around bracket so the camera is now right side up.

Mike  

Profile photo of Dean edspilot 
    Participant
    Participant

Thanks! It’s a GoPro Hero, mounted inverted with an UltraClamp from the vent opening above the landing lights.

I wasn’t INSIDE the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules area but just OUTSIDE of it for about 30 minutes of the flight. Not worth busting the space; don’t want to lose my Part 135 or get in trouble with the FAA/NPS. There’s still plenty of scenery out there — if you know where to look.

Sorry, one more question:
    What range are you shooting in?  720, 960, or 1080p? 

Profile photo of PRi PRi 

Interesting camera mount from Estonia  8)

http://www.heliprof.com

Profile photo of ArcticBuilt ArcticBuilt 
    Participant

We have utility mounts available for a forward camera or LIDAR for the R44 and R66. The R44 mount has a load limit of 100 pounds. ArcticBuilt.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2007-2017 RHOG - Robinson Helicopter Owners Group - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Terms of Service  |  Privacy Policy |  Return Policy

Forgot your details?