Recommended GPU for R66

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cherminator Cherminator 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dirk DrDirk 
    Participant

Hello All:

After an “almost” hot start this morning I am looking for a portable GPU / battery pack that can start the R66. Any of you have any recommendations? I see some on line but would like some owner feedback if you have bought one and which one.

So here is what happened. R66 been sitting for two weeks. Battery voltage was 24.6 so not bad at all. Hit the start button, saw temp go to about 800C ( first red mark) – aborted start since it never gets this high. N1 just at or above 15% so should have been ok. Tried again after a few minutes but N1 would not go above 13% so left it alone.

Just ordered a 24V battery charger. I have seen some threads of guys leaving it connected. If you have experience in doing so, can you maybe provide some details on what you leave connected and what kind of leads you have installed for the battery tender?

Thanks as always,

Dirk

Profile photo of Lov2fly Lov2fly690 
    Participant

Which batter do you have? 19 amp hour too small. We use the Start Pac Li2800QC

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Lov2fly .
    Profile photo of RHOG RHOG 
    Keymaster

If you purchase a “battery tender” brand be careful. They exclude the use of their battery maintainer on aircraft batteries. I am not sure why but probably liability. I used one for years on my airplane battery and never once did I have a dead battery.

The StartPac brand has a nice little unit and they have supported the RHOG in the past… You should at least give them a call and see what they are offering. Let them know you learned about it from this site.

Participant

Thanks Guys,

I have to check what battery I have. I thought they are all the same?

I will look into the Start Pac and probably get one.

Dirk

Participant

The larger battery is an RG-325 which is 25 amp hour. It’s the only one in the IPC now. It was an option a year ago. We took delivery of our aircraft with the small battery and it lasted less than 6 months.

Participant

I think we are going to go with a Red Box starter pack that can also start 12v airplanes. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the 25AH battery in mine but now the helicopter is coming on 2.5 years and I wonder if it is time to replace. During the time I have had it, I have only started it on battery since we keep it on a helipad without services. Has not been a problem but now it appears that now it is getting weaker.

How long do you guys keep your batteries?

And by the way, getting to that battery is a huge pain, those screws that are sideways are almost impossible to take out with a normal screwdriver. Any suggestions of how to take that panel of more efficiently?

Participant

2 years is a good life for a battery starting a turbine. I have worked for companies that replace every 2 years. Battery is certainly less costly than a hot start.

Participant

Thanks, time to replace it then!

Dirk

Participant

Update… so we bought a Red Box 12/24 volt charger. We went with a model that can also jump start smaller
    single engine 12 systems. I have not tried it yet but it should do the job for the R66 as well.

In order to get it running I charged the battery by taking off cover inside the luggage compartment, which is a royal pain as you guys probably know if you have tried it.

So my next question, how can you charge through the GPU plug in the back of the engine? I tried hooking up my battery charger to the poles and it did NOT work. Even tried connecting the 2 positive terminals. Still no charging.

So question is, how do you charge a battery through the GPU plug and what do you need? The Robinson manual states that you can do so with the Battery Master off but doesn’t provide any additional detail of how much current or the proper setup.

Anybody here know how and can enlighten me?

Thanks,

Dirk

Profile photo of John Smith John S 
    Participant

I have over 700 hours on an R66 and have used the Start Pac quite a bit. And really like it. Charges up very quickly from a wall outlet and cranks up the engine just fine. I use it whenever it is cold outside or going on a trip. I use it and then put it in the baggage compt to carry along for peace of mind. The tech rep for this battery just says recharge it every time after using it and it will last a long time. Cheaper than a ship battery and much cheaper than a hot start.

Profile photo of R.Leithman ChoppaDocta 
    Participant

edited doing some more research

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of R.Leithman .
    Profile photo of Ramon Ole 
    Participant

John, can you tell which start pac is it and how you connect it?

Participant

Ole,

The manufacturer is called STARTPAC, made in Las Vegas, NV.

They come with two cords, one that plugs into any wall outlet to recharge it. The other is a long cord that has a female type three prong connector that attaches to the three prong outlet on the engine. After I get to 60%, I make sure the controls are fractioned down, then step out of the helicopter, disconnect the Startpac and usually put it in the baggage compt and take it with me. Great for peace of mind on trips.

Profile photo of Ramon Ole 
    Participant

Thank you John,
    my 66 has a three prong plug right by the pilot seat, but You don’t use it for charging, right?

Participant

Ole,

I don’t know what three prong plug by the pilot’s seat you are referring to.

My 66 has a three prong start connection coming out of the engine accessible through the engine cowling on the plot side. And the connector on the Startpac is compatible with that engine connection.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2007-2017 RHOG - Robinson Helicopter Owners Group - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Terms of Service  |  Privacy Policy |  Return Policy

Forgot your details?